Braised fillet of venison
Here is a great rendition of a classic dish which normally uses beef. Here we use venison for a delicious flavour.
- Put mushrooms in a bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside.
- Heat butter and olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add venison to pot and brown on all sides. Remove fillet.
- Lower heat to medium-low. Add vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Return meat to pot. Add bouquet garnish. Mix together wine and stock, and stir into pot.
- Drain mushrooms, reserving soaking water. Roughly chop mushrooms. Strain mushroom water through a coffee filter. Add both to pot and simmer until thermometer reads 130 degrees for rare, 140 degrees for medium.