1. Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a pan and brown the game mix in batches. Then keep on one side.
2. Heat the rest of the oil in the pan and cook the onions for five minutes until starting to soften. Add the garlic, bacon and mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
3. Stir in the flour and cook for two minutes. Season well and stir in the bay leaf, orange zest and juice, redcurrant jelly, stock and wine
4. Bring to the boil, add the meat and simmer gently for 40-50 minutes until the meat is tender. Leave to cool.
5. Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
6. Put the meat mixture in a pie dish. Roll out the pastry to make a lid and attach to the dish and then cut a steam hole in the centre and add decorative trimmings if required. Glaze with beaten egg.
7. Bake for 20 minutes and then reduce the heat to 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden and risen and the filling is piping hot.
Use any combination of game meat for this pie but our game mix is perfect for this recipe offering a mix of venison and in season game.