Halloumi and cold smoked venison
This is a simple yet very tasty dish using delicious Yorkshire Dama Halloumi Cheese and our own flavoursome cold smoked venison. Baked and basted in lemon and basil until the cheese is tender, this dish is just perfect for dinner party nibbles or as a starter with extra dressing and a salad.
Makes 8 pieces (so serves 4 if using as a starter)
- Cut the halloumi into 12 slices and place a slice of pear and a basil leaf on each slice.
- Then wrap in a slice of smoked venison
- Mix up in a bowl the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, some of the shredded basil and a good grind of black pepper
- Brush the dressing over the smoked venison wraps and then cook under a hot grill, turning at least once and basting as they cook
- Cook until they turn a golden brown in colour and the cheese has softened
- Serve with lemon wedges and remaining shredded basil as garnish