Peppercorn venison steaks with crunchy coleslaw
This is a great recipe that can be cooked either in your pan or on a BBQ - so if the weather is good for alfresco eating then this is an ideal choice aswell as being fresh and healthy.
- Pat your steaks dry with some kitchen paper. Spread the peppercorns onto a large plate and then press the steaks onto them to coat each side. Cover until ready to use.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil into a small frying pan and add the chopped garlic and ground cumin and cook on a low heat for about 2 minutes. Remove and then let to cool
- Put the shredded onion, fennel and cabbage into a large bowl and add the mayonnaise and yoghurt. Give it a mix and then also add the garlic and cumin mixture and the chopped fennel ends. Mix again and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large pan and add the venison steaks (or get your BBQ ready and place the steaks on to cook). Cook over a medium heat for about 3-5 minutes depending on how rare you like them (our venison steaks are always best served medium rare to rare for the most flavour). Remove from the heat and allow to rest for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with the crunchy coleslaw.