Roasted venison joint with red wine gravy
This is a great simple recipe using our large venison roasting joint - an ideal dish for the alternative Sunday roast.
1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6/ 400ºF/ 200ºC. Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown/seal the joint on all sides then transfer to a roasting tin and place the veg around the meat. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 30 minutes for a medium to medium rare joint.
2. Remove from the oven and transfer to another plate, cover in foil and leave to rest while you make up the red wine gravy.
3. Add the redcurrant jelly and wine to the veg in the roasting pan and boil over the hob for about 1-2 mins making sure to stir to get any caramelised bits off the bottom.
4. Then add the stock and turn down the heat and simmer for around 10 mins until the gravy has reduced slightly.
5. Strain the gravy and season if required and serve with your roast venison joint.