Venison alla Milanese with roasted butternut squash and herb pesto
This is a delicious Italian dish from Gino D'Acampo and adapted from the BBC Food website. A great mix of flavours for our venison and a perfect meal for two.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- For the venison alla Milanese, place the breadcrumbs, herbs, chilli flakes and salt and freshly ground black pepper into a food processor and pulse until just combined.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan. Dip the venison into the beaten egg, then coat in the breadcrumb mixture and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden-brown and cooked through.
- For the roasted squash, blanch the squash in a pan of boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes, then drain. Transfer to a roasting tin, drizzle over the olive oil and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place into the oven to roast for 10-12 minutes, or until golden and tender.
- For the herb pesto, place all of the pesto ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- To serve, place the venison on a serving plate and spoon the roasted squash alongside. Drizzle the herb pesto around the edges of the plate to garnish.