Venison and ale pie
For pie lovers everywhere, here is a hearty, rich flavoursome venison pie - perfect to celebrate British Pie Week (2nd March - 8th March)!
1. Melt the butter in a flame proof casserole dish and fry the onions and garlic until lightly golden brown.
2. Remove from the dish and set aside. Toss the diced venison in a little seasoned flour and then add to the dish and brown on all sides.
3. When the venison is browned, return the onions and garlic to the pan and add the ale, vinegar, sugar, stock, allspice berries, cloves and bay leaves.
4. Bring to the boil and then simmer covered for 1 ½ hours or place in a preheated oven (160c/Gas mark 3) for 1 ½ hours.
5. Remove from the heat once cooked and then tip into a suitable pie dish if necessary, top with puff pastry and place in the oven at 180c/Gas mark 4 and bake for a further 20-30 minutes until the pastry is cooked.