Venison Cottage Pie topped with Cheesy Potato Mash
Serves 4 MethodDownload recipe
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and fry until lightly golden.
- Add the bacon, fry for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned and add the grated carrot. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove from the pan, add a little more oil and fry the minced venison until lightly browned.
- Return the bacon and vegetables to the pan and add the garlic, tomato puree, beef stock, wine and herbs and seasoning.
- Cover and cook over a medium heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid for the last 10 minutes to reduce the liquid if you wish.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas 4.
- Put the potatoes in salted water, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes until soft. Drain well and return to the pan. Add the milk and butter, heat through and season. Mash until smooth.
- Stir in ¾ of the grated cheese.
- Put the cooked mince into an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed potato. Level the top and scatter with the remaining grated cheese.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the potato is golden brown and the mince bubbles up at the edges of the dish.