Serves 4 MethodDownload recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Heat the oil and the butter in an ovenproof casserole dish and when foaming add the diced venison. Brown evenly for 3-4 minutes and remove from the pan. You may have to do this in 2 batches so that you don’t crowd the pan.
- Add a little more oil and fry the onions until lightly browned.
- Add the carrots and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Return the venison to the pan and add the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, rosemary and season well.
- Top with an even, thick layer of sliced potatoes and dot with butter.
- Cover with a lid and cook in the oven for approx. 2 hours or until the venison is tender. Remove the lid and continue to cook for 15 minutes until the potatoes are golden brown.