Venison sausage and lentil casserole
Our venison sausages have a high meat content so are full of flavour but low in fat and go very well with lentils. This delicious Gizzi Erskine recipe is a casserole with a hearty feel that has been taken from the Sunday Times Magazine.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish and then throw in the sausages and brown all over. Remove from the pan and then add the bacon and fry for a minute or two.
- Add the shallots and garlic and fry for a further 5 minutes until the bacon is golden and getting crisp.
- Add the chilli flakes, herbs and juniper berries and cook for a minute then add the tomato purée and cook for a further minute.
- Pour in the lentils and stir, then cover with the port and stock and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer and then add the sausages and cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the lentils have soaked up most of the stock and left a rich sauce.
- Stir in the redcurrant jelly and serve with sprinkled parsley.