Venison steaks with buttered asparagus and red wine sauce
This recipe, by James Martin and available on the Good Food Channel website, is a perfect pairing of two fantastic British ingredients - venison and asparagus.
- Heat up half the butter and the olive oil in a frying pan until hot.
- Season the steaks on both sides and then add to the hot frying pan and cook for a couple of minutes on each side.
- Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms to the venison in the pan and fry all together for a further 2-3 minutes. Then remove the venison (when done to your liking) and keep warm.
- Stir the gin into the mushroom mixture and then add the red wine, red wine vinegar and stock.
- Stir in the chocolate or sugar and let it all bubble for 5-6 minutes, until its reduced.
- Meanwhile add the remaining butter to another pan and fry off the asparagus until they have softened slightly and got some colour.
- Remove the mushroom mix from the heat and stir in the chopped parsley and add extra seasoning if needed.
- Then serve the venison with the asparagus and the reduced mushroom mixture over the top or on the side, which ever you prefer.