Venison medallions with a red wine and prune sauce
A great recipe for our versatile venison medallions, adapted from the Telegraph magazine recipes. The sauce for this can be made 24 hours in advance - saving you time if you are having guests over.
- In a saucepan add the wine, cinnamon, orange and bay leaf together and boil until the mixture has reduce by half.
- Then add the prunes to the reduction and marinate for two hours.
- Then remove the cinnamon, orange and bay leaf from the marinade.
- In another pan gently soften the demerara sugar and add the red wine sauce, marinated prunes and chicken stock and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling remove from the heat and then pour the sauce into a blender and blend up quickly for about a minute. Season and then put to one side to reheat when ready to serve.
- Season the medallions and then pan-fry in the butter and oil until cooked to your liking.
- Spoon out any excess fat and add the vinegar and let it all evaporate.
- Remove from the heat and add the redcurrant jelly and stir around so the steaks are coated with the glaze.
- Reheat the red wine and prune sauce and serve the steaks with the sauce spooned around them or served on the side.