Pan-fried Venison with Orange, Port and Redcurrant Sauce with Celeriac Mash
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Cook the potato and celeriac in large pan of salted water for 15-20 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife. Drain well, return to the pan, cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, rub the venison with 1 tbsp olive oil and season well. Heat the remaining oil in a large ovenproof frying pan and sear the loin on all sides.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for 6-8 minutes for pink venison.
- Remove from the oven, cover loosely and leave to rest while you prepare the mash and sauce.
- For the mash, add the cream, butter and nutmeg to the potatoes. Return to the heat to warm the cream, season well and mash until smooth.
- Place the orange juice, stock, port, redcurrant jelly, lemon juice, thyme and seasoning. Bring to the boil, stirring until the redcurrant jelly melts and stir in the cornflour mixed with a little water to thicken the sauce. Bubble gently for 1-2 minutes.
- Carve the venison into even slices and serve with the mash and sauce.